Health questionnaire, review of systems, musculoskeletal exam and posture/movement assessment
Sports Physicals at Sunu
SuNu Minnetonka can perform sports physicals and are often able to schedule them same day! The appointments are 30 minutes and are performed by Dr. Cailin Shurson who is PPE (pre-participation physical exam) trained. The appointment will include a health questionnaire, review of systems, a musculoskeletal exam and a posture/movement assessment. She is also fully trained in concussion management and baseline testing and will add these tests for athletes in contact and semi-contact sports.
Basic Facts of Sports Physicals
-Required of most middle and high school sports students.
-Separate and distinct from yearly health physicals.
-A training certification is required to perform sports physicals.
–Dr. Cailin is qualified to perform sports physicals, so you don’t need to go to primary care doctors.
-Same day scheduling is often available.
More facts about Sports Physicals
– The National Federation of State High School Association (NFHS) considers the PPE a prerequisite to participation in sport, but specific regulations vary by state. 35 states require yearly exams but in MN the PPE form is valid for 3 years. A health questionnaire is required annually & any major changes may require a full PPE performed sooner. Our recommendation is that a full PPE be performed annually for the prevention of injury.
– The primary goal of the PPE is to protect the safety, health, and well-being of the young athlete. Secondary goals include: to determine general health & fitness, address health concerns, identify risks to participation, evaluate past injuries, identify musculoskeletal imbalances, provide referral to appropriate specialist.
– These are strictly pre-participation exams to meet MSHSL requirements. The sports physical does not replace your annual checkup or child wellness exam with your primary care provider (PCP). Students currently under PCP care for medical conditions/injuries/ illnesses or with previously diagnosed medical conditions/injuries/illnesses, especially cardiac or asthmatic conditions that might preclude or limit participation in sports, are advised to receive medical examinations from their PCPs.
– PPE’s done in our office meet the guidelines developed in collaboration with the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), American Medical Society of Sports Medicine (AMASM), American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine (AOASM) and supported by the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians (ACBSP).
– Following the exam the athlete will need to return in the completed form to their school.
Paperwork for the appointment
Link to the MSHSL Sports Physical Form
Sports Physical Exam
When athletes come for sports physicals they will either have the form given to them from school or they will need to print this off and fill it out before coming in for the appointment. SuNu also will have copies in our office. If you need to fill it out in the clinic, please come 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
Continuing support for athletes
Dr. Cailin is SuNu’s Sports Chiropractor and can help keep athletes performing at their highest level. Besides assessment and chiropractic adjustments, Dr. Cailin performs Graston Technique and can apply kinesiotape, such as RockTape.